What is XEN to you?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• What is XEN to you?

Recently, Gabe Newell posted in a reddit thread that he was not satisfied with certain things in original Half-Life, and I quote:
      "Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game. I just feel those more personally about Half-Life for a bunch of reasons. And Xen.."

If it were about you to decide, how would you personally imagine/create/enhance the XEN parts of the Half-Life universe and why AND what do you
      think Gaben would do if he were to create XEN properly from scratch?
    • To me, xen is anything but a wasteland. It has a ton of weird life in it, both fauna and flora.

When I was a child and first played HL1, I always thought of xen as a literal border world. So it was kinda like Earth, except in another strange dimension where physics doesn't make sense and what we know as reality breaks down.
      Coincidentally, kinda like the "up-side down" in the show Stranger Things, except more alive.
      So in my mind, when you teleported to xen, you were merely teleporting to a position on the Earth, except in a parallel dimension.

To this day, I still view it similarly.
      I would create it as a sort of in-between "world", which is located in the unknown space between where you are teleporting from and where you are teleporting to.
      For me, that would make sense, because it does not seem to have a defined structure and anything is possible in terms of physics and life.
      It also would be a cool way to explain how the combine get to Earth, because they have to be able to link up with xen (the universe between the combine universe and ours) in order to get here.

Style-wise, I would keep it relatively the same, except have its terrain match Earths more. To give the feeling that it's a weird and twisted version of our reality. I'd probably add a touch more of life to it as well.
    • I honestly thing Xen is great idea, but it got stucked half-away. I believe at least partialy due to HW restrictions. It´s not that I hate Xen, as I cannot imagine Half-Life without it. But it´s the worst part of Half-Life. On the other hand, I think gearbox managed to make Xen very enjoyable in Blue shift and I even wished it was longer.

As from base Half-Life, I truely enjoy Interlopers. Beside that, I think the rest is the weak part, let it be the very first opening map until Gonarch. I always felt Gonarch wasn´t needed and was way too close to Nihilanth.
    • In opposing force, xen had a different skybox. Close to one used in the gman's monologue at the end of half life. What's up with that? I just thought it was supposed to be gman bending reality or whatever it's called, since the same skybox appears with sand and tanks on the ground too. Did Gearbox just get it wrong? It's normal again in Blue shift
      Similar skybox here.

Yes I know, it's a random question and not that related to the topic, but it's been bothering me ever since I realized that
    • TheDeltality wrote:

In opposing force, xen had a different skybox. Close to one used in the gman's monologue at the end of half life. What's up with that? I just thought it was supposed to be gman bending reality or whatever it's called, since the same skybox appears with sand and tanks on the ground too. Did Gearbox just get it wrong? It's normal again in Blue shift
      Similar skybox here.

Yes I know, it's a random question and not that related to the topic, but it's been bothering me ever since I realized that
      That is a good point. Although it can be anything. Maybe related to concrete location or maybe a time ? Maybe it´s sort of day/night cycle on Xen :P.

© 2017 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.