Humvee - WIP Vehicle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• Humvee - WIP Vehicle

Hey guys!

So, I'm back again - or at least, temporarily! Either way, I have plans to join and create content for you guys on the regular some time in the future as not only is it a bad ass mod, it's a bad ass team to work with and I learned so much from the short period I was with you guys before.

I was in touch with Sugar recently, talking about how my university required me to create an asset (Either a modular building, character or vehicle) for a modification that either belonged to the university OR I could reach out to a team I wanted to be involved with and work with them.

After Sugar was really helpful and done some digging around to find an open ticket that'd be nice to see in a portfolio, he gave me the choice of either a Chumtoad or Humvee.

I will be doing both of these assets for you guys, however thought I'd get the Humvee created first as I feel I am a stronger environmental artist than organic and want to show that in my portfolio.

Here I'll just throw some images and links in for my Humvee. Feel free to tear it apart and critique it! I had to do it in 15 hours straight (No sleep for me!) at the same time as being ill in order to get it done for the university deadline so I don't expect things to be perfect.

Otherwise, I hope you guys like what you see, and see at least some minor improvements in my ability since I last modeled for the team.

Cheers

And then here's a little movement to the model so you guys can get a better look at it! :)

• RE: Humvee - WIP Vehicle

Hey man glad to see you at it again :)
      the Humvee looks very fair, I would like to see you succeed.
      which is why I will give some critique and pointers.

http://puu.sh/zeKlc/f69bafcb7a.jpg

http://puu.sh/zeKtc/c3af1f9a08.jpg

right now as I can see the triangle count is extremely high, allot of which are extremely unnecessary circled red areas that need improvement, and put triangles in areas where you will be needing them most to best match the silhouette. I would go more detailed in tires, and think about the retopo when you may need to even go lower on triangle count with an LOD model. texture wise, not to bad I like its direction. remember can always bake at a higher resolution and drop for performance sake if necessary.

Looking super good!

This link will take you to an image of the Humvee model used in Spec Ops: The Line. Something I like about this model is the modular pieces that were created to attach to the model for variation. If this could be incorporated at all (maybe not for the test but the future) that would be awesome.

https://fat.gfycat.com/RigidEasyDevilfish.gif
      [hr]
      Forgot to mention: the cool thing about this approach as shown at the end of the gif is by simply creating a 2nd skin for the prop, level designers can easily create unique destroyed variants as well.

Post was edited 1 time, last by Tmast98 ().

looks excellent!

The only critiques I have:
      -I wouldn't be afraid to add a few more polys/sides to all the lights. They look a tad blocky at the moment and I figure any possible performance hit could easily be negated with LODs.
      -The undercarriage in the front below the bumper looks pretty plain and could be touched up with a few added mesh details to give the appearance of smaller metal strut supports, etc, or at least some texture work to give the appearance of detail.
      But like Tmast said, adding a bumper or something of the sort for modularity would solve that as well ;)

ps: 15 hours straight sounds intense! You're a beast haha

I'm so happy to see you're planning to work with us again Mr. Jak!!

Nexus brings up the most important point; none of those extra vertices he highlighted should exist in a place that doesn't contribute to the silhouette.
      which modelling program do you use?
      I use blender & I imagine there is a similar feature in every modelling package to "dissolve" vertices without effecting the UV map, so it shouldn't cause you too much pain to remove these other then being a little tedious.
      It is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind that most geometry should exist solely to contribute to the silhouette. I'll admit I have found exceptions, for example preserving descent normals in weird situations or adding details to an area without trying to squish it into a low-res normal for example, & I know there are plenty more exceptions but you catch my drift.

Tmast mentioned modularity & that is indeed a very fun factor to play with as a level designer or environment artist, but don't feel too pressured, because keep in mind that as time goes on you can always do new things with old models, & a year or two from now you may repurpose old models in ways you couldn't even imagine!

finally I agree with EvilGoodGuy that you could actually add some geometry to the lights & under the bumper; once you save some triangles from fixing up the geometry you could spend them elsewhere ^^

btw I think your humvee is near perfect as it is, so long as you keep in mind the previously mentioned crits. I'd hate to undersell it with these crits because you're a very talented artist & the render with that texture just looks amazing!

Post was edited 1 time, last by MINORTHREAT ().

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback! :D

theSixtyEight wrote:

Hey man, very nice humvee model, really digin it! Good job! ;)
      Would be cool to send us both mesh and textures to check it out and maybe give you some critique ;)
      Thanks!

Cheers man! As for the mesh and textures, I've revisited the sketchfab link and made it downloadable from there. So now you should be able to access all the materials and the model from there! :)

NEXUS wrote:

Hey man glad to see you at it again :)
      the Humvee looks very fair, I would like to see you succeed.
      which is why I will give some critique and pointers.

http://puu.sh/zeKlc/f69bafcb7a.jpg

http://puu.sh/zeKtc/c3af1f9a08.jpg

right now as I can see the triangle count is extremely high, allot of which are extremely unnecessary circled red areas that need improvement, and put triangles in areas where you will be needing them most to best match the silhouette. I would go more detailed in tires, and think about the retopo when you may need to even go lower on triangle count with an LOD model. texture wise, not to bad I like its direction. remember can always bake at a higher resolution and drop for performance sake if necessary.

Thanks Nexus, it's good to be back at it! Yeah I was a little unhappy with the polycount in some areas as I just quickly modified the high poly model in order to meet my university deadline. With that said, now you've highlighted some spots that I never really noticed before too so that's awesome! I'll definitely work on the polycount a little over the coming days in hope to sizzle some of those useless verts away. Thanks man! :)

Tmast98 wrote:

Looking super good!

This link will take you to an image of the Humvee model used in Spec Ops: The Line. Something I like about this model is the modular pieces that were created to attach to the model for variation. If this could be incorporated at all (maybe not for the test but the future) that would be awesome.

https://fat.gfycat.com/RigidEasyDevilfish.gif
      [hr]
      Forgot to mention: the cool thing about this approach as shown at the end of the gif is by simply creating a 2nd skin for the prop, level designers can easily create unique destroyed variants as well.

Thanks a lot man! Damn, I never even considered that! I've actually got a little addition for the bumper floating around too so there's a start! :) Awesome idea bro, sounds like a great idea too, will work on this for sure :)

EvilGoodGuy wrote:

looks excellent!

The only critiques I have:
      -I wouldn't be afraid to add a few more polys/sides to all the lights. They look a tad blocky at the moment and I figure any possible performance hit could easily be negated with LODs.
      -The undercarriage in the front below the bumper looks pretty plain and could be touched up with a few added mesh details to give the appearance of smaller metal strut supports, etc, or at least some texture work to give the appearance of detail.
      But like Tmast said, adding a bumper or something of the sort for modularity would solve that as well ;)

ps: 15 hours straight sounds intense! You're a beast haha

Thanks EGG! I do agree the lights look quite blocky and could probably do with a few more edges to bring out the silhouette more. Will look into that! As for the undercarriage 'blockout', just, yes. Was even planning on giving this a rough texture too of oily metal and then ontop of that, like I mentioned with TMast, I can have that little additional bumper strut, whatever you want to call it, coming from here too, adding some additional coverage. Also it was a little hectic yeah haha! Especially when suffering with a cold! :D Really enjoyed making it though.

MINORTHREAT wrote:

I'm so happy to see you're planning to work with us again Mr. Jak!!

Nexus brings up the most important point; none of those extra vertices he highlighted should exist in a place that doesn't contribute to the silhouette.
      which modelling program do you use?
      I use blender & I imagine there is a similar feature in every modelling package to "dissolve" vertices without effecting the UV map, so it shouldn't cause you too much pain to remove these other then being a little tedious.
      It is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind that most geometry should exist solely to contribute to the silhouette. I'll admit I have found exceptions, for example preserving descent normals in weird situations or adding details to an area without trying to squish it into a low-res normal for example, & I know there are plenty more exceptions but you catch my drift.

Tmast mentioned modularity & that is indeed a very fun factor to play with as a level designer or environment artist, but don't feel too pressured, because keep in mind that as time goes on you can always do new things with old models, & a year or two from now you may repurpose old models in ways you couldn't even imagine!

finally I agree with EvilGoodGuy that you could actually add some geometry to the lights & under the bumper; once you save some triangles from fixing up the geometry you could spend them elsewhere ^^

btw I think your humvee is near perfect as it is, so long as you keep in mind the previously mentioned crits. I'd hate to undersell it with these crits because you're a very talented artist & the render with that texture just looks amazing!

Ah man thanks a lot man! Really appreciate that!! :) I use Maya to model in, I learned it from scratch for university but I've been finding it easier to work with, although Max does have it's pros too. So I go between the two at times, but 99% of the time, Maya is what I stick to.
      Oh that feature sounds awesome! Haven't came across anything like that in Maya yet but I'm constantly learning about new things so I'm sure I'll find something similar! Thanks for that man! :) Yeah that's a very good rule to follow for sure, and I think I've got a few TOO many exceptions on this model, around the rear area especially!
      As for modularity that's great to hear man. I think I still want to try it out when I have the time though as I was absolutely dying to put a gun on this thing, but with my time limit for university I couldn't do it so decided to simplify it instead. So once I get time, I'll be sure to add bits and pieces onto this so it can have much more variation for all the environment artists/level designers to play around with - I know how much fun model variation can be as I love playing around with level design in UE4!
      I'll definitely spare up some geometry around the model to use more wisely in places where it needs to be more.

Again, thanks for your kind words man! Never really thought it was that much! :) I'll definitely keep working on it!

Also, as a side note:

I know this is a thread for the Humvee but whatever, I'll make this my 'temporary work thread'!
      I made a reference folder the other night in my spare time in preparation for the chumtoad model and ended up getting a little carried away at 5AM. I ended up creating a quick mockup for the chumtoad but changed quite a lot of the anatomy as the original from Half-Life 1 both doesn't really make much sense and doesn't have many toad similarities.

I felt as if it could look a little better if I tried to merge the anatomy of a real-life toad with the anatomy of the Chumtoad and the outcome was actually quite interesting and a lot of fun to do!
      Bare in mind this only took around 10-15 minutes to do, but from what you can see, do you think the Chumtoad should stick closer to the original or do you feel you like this direction a little more with some tweaks etc.?

Just let me know! Feel free to tear it to pieces! I'd be more than happy creating something more true to the original, I just felt the need to get a new possible concept going within 15 minutes because I got a little excited doing some organic again.

I'll end this post here, cheers guys!

Mr.Jak wrote:

Cheers man! As for the mesh and textures, I've revisited the sketchfab link and made it downloadable from there. So now you should be able to access all the materials and the model from there! :)

hmm where could i find the sketchfab thing?

© 2020 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.