What are your favourite Half-Life/Half-Life 2 mods

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• What are your favourite Half-Life/Half-Life 2 mods

I thought we could share our favourites mods for Half-Life franchise.
      There is so much mods for HL/HL2 that I bet in the end, we all can find some interesting mods we haven´t played yet.

My TOP 5 list is actually:

1) ZOMBIE MASTER
      This was my favourite back then. Even though it had several problems and needed much more polishing, I just loved the idea behind this and it usually played quite well. Nowdays it´s dead and I only wish someone took over the idea and make it a reality again.

2) Afraid of Monsters DC
      One of the best horror mods for HL imo. Great graphics, storyline and atmosphere. This and Cry of Fear is definitely worth playing.

3) They Hunger
      This is classic... Cheesy horror experience like no other :)

4) Point of View
      Quite unique mod in my opinion that nailed playing as Vortigaunt quite well. One of the must-play mods for Half-Life

5) Water
      Playing a marmaid in this puzzle-oriented mod for HL2 was quite an artistic and unique experience. I feel like this mod is not widely recognized, so I thought I should share this one with you.

Well, do you have your list of your favourite projects?
    • *WARNING, MY MAIN LANGUAGE ISN'T ENGLISH (CAN BE MISTAKES)*

Mods in Half-life franchise are something that expands this game series. It is a way of self-expression based on existing game materials. Although there are mods that don't contain almost all in-game content, and can be safely called a standalone projects. It turned out that the number of mods to these half-life games is one of the biggest.

My TOP 5 Mods (Not original XD) :

[5] "Dangerous World"
      The action takes place immediately after the events of the second half-life, where we play as a civilian that fleeing from the city 17. Everything in this mod are great. we can see at the enda very detailed explosion of the citadel.
      ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
      [4] "Paranoia"
      Mod for first Half-life. Which takes place in Russia, where we play as a Russian soldier. In this mod all materials and models are re-maded.
      ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
      [3] "Nightmare House 2"
      Perfect horror mod by Hen Mazolski and "WeCreateStuff" team. Amazing experience that actual and today.
      [2] "Cinematic Mod"
      Half-Life 2 with graphics that push limits of Source engine, but with big gag
      [1] "Black Mesa"
      I don't care that it's not mod today, anyway it was before XD
      • Remains to wait when you finish your creativity, which maybe will be in my TOP. Especially if you give me exclusive DEMO. :D :D :D
      • HELLO from //Russian BM Community// and thank you Mr.Sugar for interview to our public.
    • My top 5 (ranked in no particular order) has to be :

1. Cry of Fear (not really a mod, more of a standalone. but still awesome)

2. Afraid of Monsters for HL1 (pretty much the original cry of fear)

3. Rocket Crowbar for HL1

4. Azure Sheep for HL1

5. Sven Coop for HL1

And obviously Black Mesa, which is now standalone.

Basically, there are way better mods for HL1 than there are for HL2 haha
      Senior Level Designer | Environment Artist @ Operation Black Mesa & Guard Duty | My Website
    • My top 5 half life mods are
      1.Sven coop
      2.military duty (Story: You're Axleander Shepard - Corporal and a soldier of the Hazardous Enviroment Combat Unit. You don't know exactly what's going on. But orders came in to pack up everything and head out for a highly classified mission. The destination - Black Mesa research facility.)
      3.point of view
      4.They hunger
      5.G-Man invasion( i dont know why but i found it funny)

And if O:BM came out it will be thé first in thé list
    • migaonde wrote:

My top 5 half life mods are
      1.Sven coop
      2.military duty (Story: You're Axleander Shepard - Corporal and a soldier of the Hazardous Enviroment Combat Unit. You don't know exactly what's going on. But orders came in to pack up everything and head out for a highly classified mission. The destination - Black Mesa research facility.)
      3.point of vies
      4.They hunger
      5.G-Man invasion( i dont know why but i fond it funny)
      Gman invasion is actually pretty hillarious :D
    • 1. Battle grounds 2.

I got some of my best gaming memories from realism battles and such in this mod. I havnt played it in some years, but I would certainly like to give it a shot again some day.

2. Synergy.

Also a great multiplayer mod that I have enjoyed a lot over the years.

3. Black Mesa.

The proof that you can create a game like this and release it if you are dedicated enough and willing to put in the hard work.
      My Deviantart:

zorrentos.deviantart.com
    • In no particular order:
      • CaseClosed (HL1)
        Your usual "Escape from Black Mesa" type of mod but it's very fun and well designed.
      • Hopelessness: The Afterlife (HL1)
        Actually the sequel to a mod called Hopelessness. This one is particularly special in that I've never seen another mod set in Black Mesa do horror well. It's also got your typical Half-Life action. Awesome stuff.
      • Life's End (HL1)
        This one starts out as a funny action mod and ends a friggin' trip.
      • Half-Life: Echoes (HL1)
        It's not released, but a couple years ago the developer asked me to give what he had a play and I can tell you now it's going to be fucking phenomenal. I played a small section and loved it so much that I'm gonna go ahead and say it's on the list.
      • Black Mesa (HL2)
        I promise I didn't wanna list this one, but I struggled to come up with a HL2 mod I like nearly as much as these other HL ones so this will have to do. I don't need to explain why it's the top Source mod.

EvilGoodGuy wrote:

Basically, there are way better mods for HL1 than there are for HL2 haha

Couldn't agree more (but CoF's trash). I think with the technical openness of Source in comparison to GoldSrc, people get overwhelmed both in ambition and are expected to have a higher quality and they just don't get around to finishing. Creating a HL1 mod back in the day was simple stuff, everyone was doing it. These days I feel like the really big Source mods (esp. Black Mesa) have given everyone higher standards. The greats from GoldSrc wouldn't fly for Source these days.

As for my least favorite mods (technically a type of favorite).

• OBM/GD (HL2)
        Taking too long
      • Black Mesa: Hazard Course (HL2)
        Took too long
      • Black Mesa (HL2)
        Got me super into modding, screwed me up
      • Biohazard (Half-Life Mod) (HL1) [sic]
        Literally broken
      • Half-Life: Blue Shift (HL1) (Let's be real)
        THERE IS A PUZZLE WHERE YOU COMPLETE A CIRCUIT USING A BARREL. A FUDGING BARREL.

"120% sorry!"
    • Chris wrote:

Couldn't agree more (but CoF's trash). I think with the technical openness of Source in comparison to GoldSrc, people get overwhelmed both in ambition and are expected to have a higher quality and they just don't get around to finishing. Creating a HL1 mod back in the day was simple stuff, everyone was doing it. These days I feel like the really big Source mods (esp. Black Mesa) have given everyone higher standards. The greats from GoldSrc wouldn't fly for Source these days.

I strongly agree with this. When I remember GoldSrc mods today, It almost feels a bit like "the wild west" of modding. There were just so many mods, and a lot of them were really obscure and unpolished but still great. Nowadays, with engines like UE4, people seem to think they need to release only extremely polished AAA style mods (if they even make a mod, seems like 99% of people just go straight for an indie game). I miss the old days x)
      My Deviantart:

zorrentos.deviantart.com
    • haha although the mod does look really bad, it could just be some little kids first attempt at modding/game design, (or simply a joke by an adult) so I'd rather not make too much fun of it. So to Chris' point, let's try and keep this thread about mods we like and why we like them.
      Or you can create a separate thread for mods that suck. that's good too ;)

I'm totally gonna play it though. Not even kidding.

edit:
      just played through it. Still very unsure whether a child made this, or just an adult with the mentality of a child lol.
      Parts of it were kinda entertaining with the dubbed over noises for the weapons. But the levels did not transition, so you had to load them each manually.
      Leaves off on a to be continued cliffhanger. So prepare yourselves, boys.
      Senior Level Designer | Environment Artist @ Operation Black Mesa & Guard Duty | My Website

© 2021 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.