World Building ideas

• World Building ideas

World Building is something I find always fascinating and Opposing Force provides plenty of opportunities for things to be flesh out more in this remake. Here's a few hat come to mind.

In the Friendly Fire chapter there's several offices and conference room where the Displacer blueprints are at.

combineoverwiki.net/wiki/File:Displacer_Chart.jpg

combineoverwiki.net/wiki/File:Displacer_chart_2.jpg

Now that Portal is part of the HL cannon this area could be expanded on to reflect that. The projector screen in this room could be showing off the Black Mesa equivalent of Aperture's Dollar and Sense slide and discussing Aperture's rumored new Portal device. Not to fall behind on their competition the slide could tasking Black Mesa staff to come up with their own design to counter their competition and offer paid time off (creative project time) to work on creating a prototype for approval by the administrator. (in real life some companies do challenges like this in order to help encourage creativity and out of the box thinking to stay ahead of the competition.) The Displacer could be Black Mesa's answer to Apature's Portal Device.

Ohm's Power Inc as far as I know has only one appearance in the game being at the military base. I kinda wonder if they manufacture the battery packs for both the HEV and PCV units as well as perhaps in some way related to some of the components in both suits. Perhaps some of this could be explored upon during the boot camp level when trying out the PCV.

combineoverwiki.net/images/a/a3/Hlof_suit_charger01_on.png

For Blue Shift I would almost like to actually have Guard Duty start before the opening tram with perhaps a little more exploration of the surface dormitories. See some of the staff doing some R&R, maybe have a mesa times newsstand not far from the tram station. Perhaps have a playable Prax Wars 2 arcade mini game the players could play. I love the little details at the start of Blue Shift but I always felt it was a shame you could never interact with it in a meaningful way.

combineoverwiki.net/images/8/87/Topside_dorms.jpg
  • I´m working on the Guard Duty intro and while it´s currently not planned, maps are designed that if we have some time left, we can make it possible. Also during the tram ride, I consider possibility that tram could make one more stop where player could exit the tram and explore surrounding area. Then you would have to wait and board different tram. Again, it´s just if we have extra time, if not, there areas will remain unaccessible. I´m making the transit system to be quite complex and I want to achieve a feeling that it´s actually working complex system, so you gonna see other trams passing by and your tram reacting to it (sometimes, it will be randomized a little bit). As I work as metro train conductor in real life, I´m using my experiences from my work to achieve pretty realistic results, including making the system work in realistic manner. However, don´t take is as granted, it really depends on our schedule and priority is to make the "linear" variant work.
  • So I was thinking lately, for a facility that employs as many scientists and is rather massive, you don't really get much information about what scientific or technological breakthroughs Black Mesa has achieved. We can gather the HEV, Displacer, Tau, and Gloun are creations of Black Mesa (along with possibly the PCV) but what else they have done? Black Mesa is supposed to have been active for quite some time so they must have come up with something. So I was thinking it would only make sense for there be a "hall of achievements" showroom, something to impress investors or prospective scientists of the accomplishments Black Mesa has done in the past, present, and things upcoming in the near future.

This hall or chamber could be placed in the Friendly Fire chapter of Opposing Force. As in the original game there is office and administrative areas in that chapter and for the remake could use some location "landmarks" that a couple of Opfor's chapters , such as this one, somewhat lacked.

We could get rather creative with this. such as maybe a hologram tourguide and intercom voice showing off things about Black Mesa's breakthroughs. Maybe the hologram could even be Dr. Breen (if a good sound alike VA could be found.) because who better show off Black Mesa then a hologram simulation of the administrator himself.

Another advantage of doing a showroom like this would allow us to get really creative with the alternate 80s, 90s, and 00s of the HL/Portal universe and the role Black Mesa had in science and technology.
  • Summerset Banjo wrote:

So I was thinking lately, for a facility that employs as many scientists and is rather massive, you don't really get much information about what scientific or technological breakthroughs Black Mesa has achieved. We can gather the HEV, Displacer, Tau, and Gloun are creations of Black Mesa (along with possibly the PCV) but what else they have done? Black Mesa is supposed to have been active for quite some time so they must have come up with something. So I was thinking it would only make sense for there be a "hall of achievements" showroom, something to impress investors or prospective scientists of the accomplishments Black Mesa has done in the past, present, and things upcoming in the near future.

This hall or chamber could be placed in the Friendly Fire chapter of Opposing Force. As in the original game there is office and administrative areas in that chapter and for the remake could use some location "landmarks" that a couple of Opfor's chapters , such as this one, somewhat lacked.

We could get rather creative with this. such as maybe a hologram tourguide and intercom voice showing off things about Black Mesa's breakthroughs. Maybe the hologram could even be Dr. Breen (if a good sound alike VA could be found.) because who better show off Black Mesa then a hologram simulation of the administrator himself.

Another advantage of doing a showroom like this would allow us to get really creative with the alternate 80s, 90s, and 00s of the HL/Portal universe and the role Black Mesa had in science and technology.
    Very good idea, making a note here :)

© 2018 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.