Sticky Summer update 2020

• Summer update 2020

Is it really that time, again? Indeed it is! We hope you are all safe and doing well - it has been quite the year! Even though apocalyptic events, we are still busy at work on our games.

(Foxtrot Uniform by Brandon Smith and Chris Onorati)

Much has changed since our last update in November 2019. We are steadily working on all aspects of the game. More levels are nearing completion, and unlike previous years, it's apparent that we are shifting our focus onto actual gameplay. We are thrilled that both Guard Duty and Operation: Black Mesa are now starting to resemble actual games. While we have had some NPCs, weapons, and the like in-game for some time, we are finally about to implement human NPCs. This represents a major milestone as it means we can at long last start to work on scripted scenes and story elements.

(Hazard Course by Brandon Smith)

Some new additions to our team go hand in hand with this progress. We have brought on some very talented voice actors to fill the roles of some old friends, as well as a small handful of new faces. You can hear some voice acting samples attached to this update.

Our audio department has grown significantly. Other than new voice talent, we are pleased to welcome a new composer to the team. While it might be a bit saddening that not all of the older tracks will appear in the final product, fear not! Our new composer is not only producing new tracks, but re-creating some of the fan-favorites to ensure a cohesive listening experience. Alongside this article we are releasing a few new tracks - how do they sound to you? Please share your thoughts.

To give a proper closure to the topic of in-game audio, below are samples of the Security Guard and HECU Grunt. Give them a listen!

Other departments are still hard at work as well. Weapons are being fine-tuned, with playtesting driving them to a near-perfect state. We are now working on a stretch-goal for Operation: Black Mesa and Guard Duty to each have their own unique viewmodel animations that will match the style of each protagonist. Since we started publicly sharing weapon showcase videos, some of you have given us valuable feedback. One point of public concern was our HUD color scheme. While still a work in progress, here are some pictures of the most recent iteration of the HUD for both games. We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last but not least, we are excited to share some short gameplay teasers - presenting our take on the Voltigore's nest. We hope to bring you even more videos in the future.

In closing, we would like to encourage any talented individuals to apply to our team and help us finish making these games a reality. If interested in the projects, or if you know someone who might be, please see our "application guidelines" for more detailed information. Current priority positions are:

3D Artist (Organics)
      3D Artist (Hard Surface)
      Graphics Programmer
      Animator
      Various Voice Acting Positions

(The Package by Lander Van Hove) (Welcome to Black Mesa by Chris Onorati)

We will have more to share soon, so stay tuned. In the meantime, there are some more media to please your eyes. We cannot wait to hear your thoughts. To make sure you don´t miss anything, you can go check out one of our social channels.

(Missing in action by Oliver Curtis)

(Crush Depth by Chris Onorati) (last screenshot by Chris Onorati and Brandon Smith)

(Alien flora concepts by Harry Willson)
    • I absolutely love the level screenshot, the color and lighting looks good, especially the wall texture in Crushed Depth seem similar to Black Mesa's Questionable ethics which is awesome (I don't remember how it looks in OpFor,it's been so long since the last time I played it)
      The Voltigore nest teaser look nice too, I remembered asking about the night vision a while ago and you guys deliver it (kinda make me feel like I'm contributing something to the community as a fan, so thanks for that :) ) . It looks properly creepy, and I think the texture is made more detailed in this one due to limited color and lighting. Love that cool moment when the Volti just out of view and its projectile just fly pass your head. I think it fit the section well.
      The music is hard to judge, it definitely is made by talented people, but I really don't know what part it will fit in the game. My best guess is the first one is when you're in a hallway of some sort, and the second one will be a wide open area, but both seem to encourage player to slow down and admire the environment.
      Voice acting: Security sound a bit goofy (almost like Kleiner). The marine is good, but I think some post-processing to make it more distorted as if they're talking through radio comms will make them more badass.
      The alien flora concept art is a bit... disturbing( Trypophobia anyone?). Anyway it's just me being uncomfortable with things that have lots of holes so I can't speak for everyone. Other people might like it.
    • Nice update! Your concepts are good as always! Is there a Geneworm or Tentacles on the 3-d concept? =)
      I can see water barnacles are confirmed! Great!

Voltigors are impressive but not much electricity around, they are "electric bugs", may be you can add some electric sparks or lightning around them. You know, a lot of modmakers are too addicted with brightly burning eyes that cause only irritation, but hump with purple stripes could be also highlighted as an accumulator on their back. For example, in Prey was a scary effect with this stuff. After first walkthrough many gamers can remember their hump like their 2-nd face. =) The same with missiles,I imagined it with some explosive effects as you remember in Unreal Tournament 3, for example.

I will be happy to see some extended areas you showed in your screenshots. By the way the video on youtube about Hazard Course of Barney looked better than on the screenshots.
    • -Raptor- wrote:

Nice update! Your concepts are good as always! Is there a Geneworm or Tentacles on the 3-d concept? =)
      I can see water barnacles are confirmed! Great!

Voltigors are impressive but not much electricity around, they are "electric bugs", may be you can add some electric sparks or lightning around them. You know, a lot of modmakers are too addicted with brightly burning eyes that cause only irritation, but hump with purple stripes could be also highlighted as an accumulator on their back. For example, in Prey was a scary effect with this stuff. After first walkthrough many gamers can remember their hump like their 2-nd face. =) The same with missiles,I imagined it with some explosive effects as you remember in Unreal Tournament 3, for example.

I will be happy to see some extended areas you showed in your screenshots. By the way the video on youtube about Hazard Course of Barney looked better than on the screenshots.
      We don´t plan to show anything related to Geneworm. These parts of the game will be kept secret for you to experience it yourself when we release the game.
    • Hello, devs!
      I know, not much time has passed since the Summer release, but it is very curious how you performed at least the HECU themselves, or at least the new PCV armor?
      You mentioned earlier that you discussed gameplay - will the OBM has a smooth gameplay speed or will it have a frantic pace like BM? Of course, many complained that today the shooting in HL2 is boring, but with a "quick" gameplay you hardly pay attention to the design details of the levels or scenes.

Will this place be made like BM or will it be completely redesigned?
      steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net…5834419EC8823896DFCA0EB9/

© 2020 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.