Source 2?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• Hi there, it's me Ballsopt, the concept artist from a million years ago! 8)
      I've been re-immersing myself into the HL universe since beating Alyx, and I've been excited to see the recent video updates for OBM going strong.
      This has of course led me to a frank inquiry for the Devs: What is the current discussion for porting OBM to Source 2? Is this something you're starting to consider?

Now I know pretty much nothing about technicals, learning curve or complications for such a feat, I'm a 2-D artist guy. But it if it's feasible, it honestly seems like the logical conclusion at this point in the current Half-Life scene, (especially since HL2 is pretty ancient). This could really bring Opfor into the future in a more radical way, with the potential for the fantastic lighting and dense environmental detail,etc seen in Alyx. I dont know if this means making it formally a HL:Alyx mod instead of HL2 mod (non VR obviously) with valve's graces. I know that people have been having success tinkering and porting HL2 and source assets to S2 with some ease.
      I admit I'm basically shooting from the hip with a Hot Take here. But I can really envision a S2 remake of OBM being absolutely mindblowing, for old and newcomers alike.

anyways, that's what's on my brain. Thanks for reading!
    • Hey hey Ballsopt! I'm probably one of the few devs still around who remembers you haha :)

Although using Source 2 would be awesome, it is definitely not going to happen.
      Valve has not released all the tools necessary for us to do so even if we wanted to.
      Not to mention there is no magical button that just automatically ports everything. So we would lose months, if not years porting everything over and learning all the new ins and outs of the engine.

Don't worry though, our talented programmers are giving us some new cool toys and features that are making the good ole Source 1 engine look more modern.
      We will probably talk about some of the new features in a future media release ;)
      Senior Level Designer | Environment Artist @ Operation Black Mesa & Guard Duty | My Website
    • Thanks for the reply, nice to hear from ya. I figured the complications with S2 would probably keep that off the table, but I'm excited to see the features you guys are working on, (Black Mesa was definitely an eye-opener for how much the lighting in S1 can be stretched in surprising ways). And other areas like weapons and gunplay already look more enticing than what I experienced in BM (shepard's hands are the best Ive ever seen in S1).
      And its a tiny detail but I was drooling over that Xenian growth infested hallway in Vicarious Reality. It was so important to me that Xen was done right (as much as I adored CC's xen, I felt they took big portions of it in a totally non-xen direction).

I know you guys are no longer really in the market for 2D artists, I see youve got many very talented illustrators on crew. But if you ever want any sort of atmospheric studies for any areas, let me know and I'd be happy to throw some renderings your way in any capacity :thumbup:
    • Ballsopt wrote:

Thanks for the reply, nice to hear from ya. I figured the complications with S2 would probably keep that off the table, but I'm excited to see the features you guys are working on, (Black Mesa was definitely an eye-opener for how much the lighting in S1 can be stretched in surprising ways). And other areas like weapons and gunplay already look more enticing than what I experienced in BM (shepard's hands are the best Ive ever seen in S1).
      And its a tiny detail but I was drooling over that Xenian growth infested hallway in Vicarious Reality. It was so important to me that Xen was done right (as much as I adored CC's xen, I felt they took big portions of it in a totally non-xen direction).

I know you guys are no longer really in the market for 2D artists, I see youve got many very talented illustrators on crew. But if you ever want any sort of atmospheric studies for any areas, let me know and I'd be happy to throw some renderings your way in any capacity :thumbup:
      Nice to hear back from you :). And you are kinda wrong, I honestly think we still could use one concept artist. There is still a lot of to be done in that department, especially for Xen. And concept art is always welcome addition to the creation process :).
    • As a xen modeller, I too would love to have another concept artist that can produce xen art. I am not sure how the application process works for previous members. But the hiring process is a bit more detailed now especially since becoming a commercial product. Unless someone else jumps in and tells you otherwise, our application guide can be found here: Application Guidelines

I wish you the best of luck mate! :)

© 2021 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.