2014 Kickoff Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• 2014 Kickoff Update

Welcome to our first progress update this year!
      This one is a mixed bag of sorts, so let's get right into it:

Multiplayer Beta Release Q1 Cancelled

Although we have made some solid progress on the multiplayer component of OBM, we regret to inform you that we currently cannot follow through with the beta release. We've chosen to completely retract it until further notice.
      At the time, it seemed manageable as a result of us being a tad overambitious, proud our work, and eager to show it off. But it has been made very clear to us that we can't live up to this promise.

The following factors eventually led to this decision:

• There's still quite a bit of core work to be done, as well as work in terms of quality and polish. Beta as it may be, it's still a first impression of our magnum opus and we'd like it to resemble a fluent and enjoyable game rather than a rushed or incomplete one.
      • We've had some shortages of manpower in certain departments. We could still use help in the animation sector and having more programmers certainly would be fabulous as well. Please check out the jobs page for more information if you're interested!
      • Even if the beta were to be released now, it would slow down the actual development in a tremendous way. We are not ready for managing an entire gaming community, hosting servers and releasing bugfix patches on a regular basis yet. Our main task is the mod development at heart; that's what we need to focus on.
      • Work priorities and deadlines were moved around a few times due to the proposition of converting the project to an indie title. See more below.

Basically, we're left with no choice but to put the sobering good old "whenever it's ready" stamp back on it for the time being. The same applies to the trailer we had planned. We'd like to show more and better content.
      We're truly sorry for the broken hearts; maybe this'll teach us to handle the notion of release dates with proper care in the future.

Multiplayer Progress

But let's move on to more pleasant topics, like the stuff we can actually show you!
      Here you can see some of the maps that will be available from day 1:

Depthcharge, Snark

They include classic maps like Boot Camp, Crossfire and Yard as well as brand-new ones such as Depthcharge and Gambit.

CTF mechanics and weapon placement are well on their way.

Singleplayer Campaign Development

Overall, single-player development is flowing at a steady pace. Once again, we'd like to encourage animators out there to apply and join our current army of two to help speed up the NPC implementation process.

Although OBM is currently our flagship mod, Guard Duty is being worked on with equal attention. In fact, why don't we show you a bit of Guard Duty right now:

Hazard Course

Living Quarters Outbound

OBM: The Video Game?

Shortly after you, our lovely supporters, voted us all the way through Greenlight last year, we were offered the opportunity to develop our projects as fully fledged games to be sold on Steam!
      Some of you might've seen this coming (given the almost identical Black Mesa related news); for us it is still a great privilege, considering the possibilities and potential this puts into view.

What would this mean for our projects?
      • Operation Black Mesa and Guard Duty (SP and MP) as such will stay free for download; no strings attached.
      • Utilizing the latest Source engine and all the delicious enhancements that come with it, the paid version would also be put on Steam for a fairly low price as an optional purchase or, more to the point, "donation" to support our team and development.

However, this matter is still very much in discussion and we haven't reached a decision yet. The main obstacle for us is a considerable bulk of license fees we'd have to invest in. Since our mods have no funding to speak of and none of us have won the lottery (yet), finding a solution is going to be a challenge.

That aside though, development continues as usual; after all, our main objective is to finish this project with the hopes of delivering to you the Opposing Force experience you've always wanted, whether it be as mod or game.

Friendly Fire

Pit Worm's Nest

M1A1 Tank

Missing In Action

Alien Controller

Wallpaper

Thanks for your support and endurance,
      Tripmine Dev Team

Post was edited 1 time, last by mrsugar ().

• RE: 2014 Kickoff Update

Hi, mi name is Robin Marín (a.k.a. tuqueque), I'm very interested in collaborating with you on the modeling and animation department, I have more than 10 years of 3D experience... But I won't be available until May-June; that's why I haven't contacted you until now, but anyway... I'll contact you at that time for further communication, but you can count on me! :)

Excellent work so far, guys! Keep it up!

That's a shame and not surprisingly that the multiplayer been delayed.

tuqueque wrote:

Hi, mi name is Robin Marín (a.k.a. tuqueque), I'm very interested in collaborating with you on the modeling and animation department, I have more than 10 years of 3D experience... But I won't be available until May-June; that's why I haven't contacted you until now, but anyway... I'll contact you at that time for further communication, but you can count on me! :)

Excellent work so far, guys! Keep it up!

Um, you do realise you're supposed to post your application here right?

Post was edited 1 time, last by Freezing Moon ().

Hey, great work! I love the tank and Jeep models, and the maps look amazing. I'd love to see OBM and GD on Steam as well. I'd definitely pay for them.

I noticed that the license plate on the Jeep is mirrored with the rest of the car's texture. Not to be pedantic, but would this be fixed before release? I think it would be cool if you used the real life New Mexico plates.

Sorry that I can't offer much help, but great work!

Hmm.. I guessed it.. but np.
      I only hope you make the right code and animation to make this mod feel like original HL:OP4..
      That's the most important for me. The game itself has to feel right. When you have the right gameplay and feel you can release it :)

© 2018 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.