Sticky Questions: About GD / OBM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• Currently we aren't really in need of dialogue lines.
      Having all the original game dialogue plus the dialogue us devs come up with, it's plenty. Plus if we let one fan then we basically gotta let all you guys :P

In regards to the voice actor being the same I have absolutely no idea.
      Senior Level Designer | Environment Artist | Animator @ Operation Black Mesa & Guard Duty | My Website
    • Yeah, seriously. Here's my first interaction on this forum.

Crypt wrote:

Hello! I'm Chris/Crypt. Basically I do nothing but speak whilst contributing nothing.

Edfake wrote:

No worries, you contribute by having feedback and being a fan! And thats awesome!

Atop that, if you look at certain ModDB media posts/articles pre-2013, you see me as a fan making comments. Basically being on the level as the guys here on Tripmine was something I'd only really aspired to be.
      And yet here I am.

Whether that's a testament to me having developed my skills or Tripmine lowering their standards is something I'll leave up to you.

"120% sorry!"
    • Thanks guys. We´re about to finish the reconstruction of our new flat, so right after that I´m gonna focus once again on practising. If it won´t bother anybody, may I post my wip here on forums (in another thread ofcourse)?

Now back to the topic....new questions:

1. will here be female HECU as well?
      2. will there be possibility to share ammo with your HECU?
      3. It was said that we would be able to see Barney in the mirror. Does the same thing count for Adrian (if there´s possibility for a mirror somewhere)?
      4. you assured me that there will be tanks and choppers...is there gonna be an enemy tank as well? because when not counting that one hostile chopper in the original OF, the rocket launcher seems somehow useless (at least for me)
    • Yes, we even have a place for posting your works here on the forum ;).

As for your questions:

1) No
      2) Not planned (if you mean you give your team-mates ammo)
      3) Well, it´s basicly the same game, so it really depends on if we make a place where there is functional mirror. You will find out once you play the game ;).
      4) Yes, you can count on that. Don´t forget that there is still GD where HECUs are your enemy.
    • Hey guys.

1) Will you guys show pics of Xen as part of a media update some time? Is is going to be similar to how Xen is in BMS, or completely different?
      2) Will you guys add the frozen vortigaunts in HL:BS to Guard Duty as well?
      3) How will the barnacle gun in OBM work?

You guys are doing an awesome job. Little people are able to do such incredible things out of passion. Can't wait to see more and play both games! :)
    • TheHollowMan wrote:

Hey guys.

1) Will you guys show pics of Xen as part of a media update some time? Is is going to be similar to how Xen is in BMS, or completely different?
      2) Will you guys add the frozen vortigaunts in HL:BS to Guard Duty as well?
      3) How will the barnacle gun in OBM work?

You guys are doing an awesome job. Little people are able to do such incredible things out of passion. Can't wait to see more and play both games! :)
      Hey, thanks for kind words, we appreciate it.

1) Xen is currently on so called "black list" so it´s something we wanna keep for you to experience. However, maybe you will be able to see some small parts of it, when we show something from Biodome Complex and so on ;)
      2) Yes
      3) Very similar to the original, we have just altered the controls a bit. This might of course change during the development, but we are pretty happy about it.
    • Hi, and thanks for having a thread like this - it is much appreciated.
      1) Which branch of the source engine are you using? If you're using the non-commercial version, are you limited by the constraints of that version (i.e. I believe that the commercial version would be based on a more recent branch, and would have more source code exposed rather than in libraries, but there's a $20,000 fee for the physics engine)?
      2) I think that someone mentioned dynamic lights somewhere (although I could be wrong). Are these projected textures, or something new?
      3) Are you planning a Linux release?
      4) I believe in other source engine projects, when working with especially complex terrain, etc. some level geometry has been created in 3d modeling software, before being imported to hammer. Have you done this at all?
      5) Oh, and slightly off topic, but not deserving of its own thread: would it be possible for you to implement HTTPS on this site - Firefox now complains by default when entering passwords on insecure sites. What with let's encrypt, these things can be pretty easy (and free) nowadays.
      Thanks.
    • joedight wrote:

Hi, and thanks for having a thread like this - it is much appreciated.
      1) Which branch of the source engine are you using? If you're using the non-commercial version, are you limited by the constraints of that version (i.e. I believe that the commercial version would be based on a more recent branch, and would have more source code exposed rather than in libraries, but there's a $20,000 fee for the physics engine)?
      2) I think that someone mentioned dynamic lights somewhere (although I could be wrong). Are these projected textures, or something new?
      3) Are you planning a Linux release?
      4) I believe in other source engine projects, when working with especially complex terrain, etc. some level geometry has been created in 3d modeling software, before being imported to hammer. Have you done this at all?
      5) Oh, and slightly off topic, but not deserving of its own thread: would it be possible for you to implement HTTPS on this site - Firefox now complains by default when entering passwords on insecure sites. What with let's encrypt, these things can be pretty easy (and free) nowadays.
      Thanks.
      Hi,

1) We use 2013. Licensing Source engine these days would be absolutely horrible decision due to high fees for such an outdated engine.
      2) At this point, we use projected textures which are fixed and improved slightly.
      3) Yes
      4) We have done bunch of experiments with displacements and yes, one of them was geomentry made of model and imported to hammer afterwards
      5) Yes, this and many other things are going to improve in the coming weeks/months. This is one of them ;)
    • To clarify on point 2 from Mr.Sugar the mod uses the standard lighting assets available in hammer. In reference to dynamic lighting, our level designers are able to enjoy these a bit more than normal to get some pretty spectacular results. The NPCs, and other entities (such as the suit charger) are what is utilizing our semi-improved dynamic lighting system. You can see an image of this in a dev blog I posted a while ago on these forums.

© 2017 Tripmine Studios. Valve, Steam, Gearbox, Half-Life Trademarks of Valve.